The challenge: find delicious meals at home and in restaurants that are 500 calories or less.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

How I Do Pizza


Pizza is my weakness. I cannot give it up all together. I cannot eat a tiny little slice and call it a day. I need my weekly fix or its ON.

So this is how I get my weekly fix without losing my progress.

Its cheap, its not too unhealthy, and its easy. My watch words. You can add whatever toppings you'd like short of making it a meat lovers replica without too much damage. Especially if you stick to veggies and turkey pepperoni. Most of the time, because we are not a veggie on pizza family, I just do the turkey pepperoni. It adds all of 50 calories. No biggie.

So here's what you do.

Take a Pillsbury thin crust that you find in a tube in the refrigerated section with all of their other lovely tube products. Roll it out onto a cookie sheet and pre bake the crust for 5 minute at 425.

Once that's done, take it out, spread all the pizza sauce you want on it. I don't measure pizza sauce. It should probably be half the jar.

Then sprinkle with 2 cups of shredded part skim mozzarella. The finely shredded will spread better. Fat free may save you some more calories or points, but I think it tastes like plastic. Then sprinkle some seasonings over it. Garlic powder is a must for me. And basil and oregano.

Then top with whatever you want and bake for another 6-10 minutes!

Sure there are more guilt free pizzas out there. Make it on a pita with less cheese, buy some whole wheat dough...but this is classic and dummy proof and easy and kid friendly.

So how have I been able to keep losing or maintaining weight for a year and a half straight will eating pizza every week? Pretty much this way.

1/4 of the finished product is 415 calories and 10 WW P+ with just cheese.

Oh and if you're feeling even lazier and want pizza minus guilt, DiGiorno Flatbread frozen pizzas are wonderful and pretty guilt free. Also check out Newman's Own (my husband has banned me from buying it though, says it taste's like cardboard...I thought it was fine!) and Amy's which would be in the organic section.

For take out pizza, I love Mellow Mushroom. Love, love, love. Its not any worse than any other pizza place (maybe even a little better) and has whole wheat crusts and natural ingredients.

For take out, always go for the thin crust unless there's a flatbread or whole wheat option. And as a former Pizza Hut employee (15 years ago, but I doubt its changed)...AVOID the pan pizza. I used to squirt the oil into the bottom of those pans, and trust me, its a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment