The challenge: find delicious meals at home and in restaurants that are 500 calories or less.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Blueberry Banana Oatmeal


You're not going to see a ton of breakfast recipes from me. I literally eat this every morning right now. Except once in a while when I eat Cheerios instead. (I do make breakfast for dinner once in a while though!)

I came up with this recipe when I was reading a list of super foods. Blueberries are one of the best things out there for you when it comes to the big antioxidant punch they give you. Oats were also on the list and are known to help lower cholesterol. Bananas help fill you up and the milk is my way of guaranteeing at least 1 serving of dairy in my day, whcih is very iportant for women and sometimes I let it fall by the wayside. (Plus, 8 g of protein more than if I cooked the oats in water.

Blueberry Banana Oatmeal

Ingredients:
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
3/4 cup 1% milk (or whatever you have on hand...I like to use milk rather than water so that I get my dairy servings in. Otherwise its kind of hit or miss whether I will...the other 1/4 cup of milk goes in my coffee, btw)
1 packet of Splenda (or sweetener of your choosing)
A dash or two or three of Cinnamon (its a super food! Cinnamon is known to help control blood sugar)
1/2 cup frozen blueberries dethawed (or fresh if its a good time for those)
1 banana sliced

Combined the oats and milk and microwave according to package directions (I do 2 1/2 minutes)

After cooked, let sit for a minute or two then add the splenda and cinnamon. Stir.

Then add the bluberries and stir, then the bananas.

Yum yum! (For bonus protein and healthy fats...and a nice crunch...add a small bit of chopped unsalted almonds...like a Tbsp or two)

With the milk that ends up in my coffee, it comes in at 400 calories, 76 g carbs, 6 g fat, 14 g protein, and 7 WW P+

The stats are probably less if you have a three year old sitting in your lap asking for bites and stealing blueberries like I do. Oh and sometimes when you stir it all up the whole bowl is blue. Blue oatmeal, can't beat that!

3 comments:

  1. Ok... So, I totally ran over here to follow. :P This looks sooooo good! I've become bored with my oatmeal. I'll have to try this out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy Mindy! I'm going to need good meal ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, princessmeesh is your cousin Michelle.

    ReplyDelete